In addition to smoke detectors, it is now typical to have carbon monoxide detectors in homes. In fact, in some states, they are legally required to keep people safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Why You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that is produced by many household engines, such as generators, furnaces, and water heaters. Since it's impossible to recognize that there is a carbon monoxide leak without a detector, many people get sick from carbon monoxide poison before they know the leak exists. Even after people get sick, it may be hard to determine the cause of the illness without a detector.
Severe poisoning canresult in symptomslike loss of coordination, vomiting, confusion, and even death.
According to theNational Fire Protection Association, in 2010 alone, fire departments in the United States responded to about 80,100 carbon monoxide alarms (an average of nine per hour). This number is a significant increase from the 40,900 such calls in 2003, and the surge is probably due to increased use of carbon monoxide detectors.
Types of Carbon Monoxide Detectors
You can pick a detector that runs on batteries, one that is hard-wired into your home's electric, or one that plugs into an outlet. If you pick one that is powered by electricity, try to find one with a battery backup in case of a power outage. In addition, you can now find combination smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. Some options to consider are:
Code One Battery Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm- This alarm is economical at only about $20. The alarm has a loud a horn sound that you will be sure to hear in an emergency. It can either be mounted on the wall or placed on a piece of furniture.
Kidde Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup- While most alarms sound when there are over 30 parts per million of carbon monoxide in the air, you usually can't tell exactly what the measurement is. This alarm has a digital display that lets you know exactly what the carbon monoxide PPM are between 30 and 999. It plugs into an outlet, but it has a battery backup in case you lose power. Customers report that it lasts about seven years. It is priced around $45.
No matter which type of carbon monoxide detector you use, you want to make sure it's working properly. To do so, theConsumer Product Safety Commission recommendsthat you replace the batteries in your alarm each year (if you have a battery-operated alarm). You should also do a monthly test on your alarm using the test button to check that the alarm is working properly. Additionally, pay attention to the alarm's stated lifespan, which can vary with each model, and replace the alarm when necessary.
Keep Your Family Safe
The CPSC estimates that there are 170 deaths per year in the United States from non-automotive carbon monoxide poisoning, and theNational Conference of State Legislatures(NCSL) states that there are over 500 carbon monoxide poisoning deaths total in the United States each year. The NCSL also reports that each year more than 10,000 people need medical treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning. With the use of carbon monoxide detectors in your home, you can protect your family from being part of those statistics.
Author:Kriste Simmons Phone: 931-561-1103 Dated: November 29th 2015 Views: 183 About Kriste: I am a licensed Real Estate Agent in TN, and KY with Reliant Realty ERA Powered. I have over 18 yea...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
About Kriste Simmons & The Simmons Team of Reliant Realty ERA Powered -931-245-8800
Thank you for choosing The Simmons Team for your real estate needs! We make it our mission to provide you with top of the line services in any type of situation. We specialize in the Clarksville, Montgomery County, Fort Campbell and Hopkinsville areas, but will gladly help you with surrounding areas as well. Our local expertise and wide variety of Real Estate knowledge will benefit you whether you are buying or selling for the first or the tenth time.
"As we began our journey to find a new home in the Clarksville area, we met Mrs. Kriste Simmons. Upon the first meeting with her, she exceeded our expectations. She is always willing to help and go out of her way to get any and all answers you may have, no matter who she needs to call. We closed on our house this morning, and from start to finish the entire process has been beyond anything we could of hoped for. We will recommend everyone we know to Ms. Simmons."